Qumu, Inc. Green Philosophy
Qumu is an environmentally conscious organization committed to protecting and preserving our planet, conserving natural resources, minimizing our impact on the environment and conducting business in an ecologically responsible way. We actively implement measures to increase efficiency, conserve energy and water, improve air quality, and reduce waste.
Qumu communicates its environmental policies and programs to its employees to ensure that all are aware of their role and responsibility to fulfill and sustain the Company’s environmental commitment.
- Qumu promotes a reduction in emissions and carbon footprint on the environment by minimizing corporate travel.
- Qumu encourages employees, partners and customers to conduct meetings and training sessions using video webcasts.
- The Company strives to minimize its impact on the earth by using recyclable materials whenever possible.
- Qumu complies with all environmental legislation and regulatory requirements relating to its business and the communities where it operates.
Qumu Green Policies
Three initiatives within the Qumu environmental sustainability effort are:
1. Reduction of the Company’s Carbon Footprint
- Video Webcasts are used for external meetings and to reduce travel. Virtual conferences are created for meetings with customers and partners.
- All internal conferences, workshops, and town hall meetings are turned into virtual meetings.
- All Company training and compliance information is made available as video programs.
- All Company, customer and partner communication is primarily sent via e-mail, with printed materials provided by request only.
- Employee use of mass transit systems around the world is encouraged.
- Telecommuting is encouraged by our global workforce to reduce carbon emissions.
2. Increasing Recycling and Waste Management
- Qumu employees are required to recycle and properly dispose all paper, plastic, aluminum and packing materials through recycling.
- The Company cooperates with waste disposal programs and initiatives.
- Office equipment is either reassigned or donated to a participating reuse/recycle nonprofit or educational organization for a “second life.”
- The use of individually-packaged bottled water is discouraged; filtered water dispensers are available throughout the office for use with washable containers.
- Qumu is committed to the reduction and, when possible, the elimination of hazardous substances in the workplace and in any packaging materials.
3. Increasing Energy Efficiency
- Employees are encouraged to work by natural light whenever possible.
- To minimize heating and cooling use, offices use climate control to seasonally adjust temperatures when appropriate.
- Qumu is committed to water conservation.
- During pollution advisories, Qumu strongly encourages its staff to work from home or utilize public transportation or carpooling. Qumu also asks vendors to suspend deliveries during high pollution days, whenever possible.
- Qumu uses products from local sources and encourages the use of recycled, biodegradable and sustainable materials from suppliers.
- Qumu strives to educate others – including partners, customers and prospects – about ways in which they can be “Greener”.
- Qumu acts as an advocate in our industry for sustainability and “Green” practices.
Additionally, even though Qumu does not own its corporate headquarters building, Qumu has been influential in developing the building management’s own green policies which include:
- Restroom paper products meet the EP guidelines for post-consumer recycled fiber content.
- Restrooms have aerators in the sinks to decrease the flow of water.
- Janitors use green-certified cleaning products, HEPA-filter vacuum cleaners and microfiber cleaning cloths and mops.
- Recycling paper, bottles and cans diverted over 35 tons of waste from the landfills over just a three month period.