Where executives use short 1 - 5 minute videos to communicate on an ongoing basis
ChangeCasting is a new approach to leadership where executives use short 1 to 5 minute videos to communicate to their teams. ChangeCasts are a process, not a single event – executives who embrace ChangeCasts use them to enhance their leadership and effectively communicate change on an ongoing basis. ChangeCasts have key attributes:
- Short – A 1 to 5 minute executive video on a single key issue.
- Focused – Message focused on just one issue that the leader wants to reinforce.
- Informal – The more informal the better; It conveys authenticity.
- Flexible – Live streaming is more immediate and impactful, but busy schedules, time zones and other pressures mean that the ChangeCast must be available also as video on-demand.
- Feedback – Include at invitation for anonymous feedback. This helps the leader understand the concerns of his/her constituency.
- Frequent – ChangeCasts need to be frequent. Once a week, twice a month.
The Book: Leading Change in a Web 2.1 World, by Jackson Nickerson
How ChangeCasting Builds Trust, Creates Understanding, and Accelerates Organizational Change
In this important book, management expert Jackson Nickerson proposes a combination of processes and techniques utilizing Web 2.0 technology, which he refers to as Web 2.1, that will not only lead and direct change in an organization but actually accelerate it. He calls these processes and techniques "ChangeCasting."
Nickerson tells the stories of two Fortune 1000 firms facing dire economic and competitive circumstances. The CEOs of these two firms attempted extensive organizational change using web-based video communications. One CEO used ChangeCasting while the other CEO disregarded it. Nickerson traces the economic consequences of their two approaches to leading change. His insights will be invaluable to business executives, public officials, students of management and organizations, and anyone who needs to take organizational change in the 21st century from the drawing board to successful implementation and replication.
The book is available now on www.changecasting.com.
Examples of effective ChangeCasting:
- Merger integration
- Product strategy changes
- Product recall remediation
- Corporate re-organization